Poetry Less Than Daily

Strong Poems. Beautiful Poems. Tough Poems. Poems w/ the F-word. Poems less frequent than before but no less kick-ass.

Thursday, March 17, 2005

César Vallejo

Ágape

Today no one has come to inquire,
nor have they wanted anything from me this afternoon.

I have not seen a single cemetery flower
in so happy a procession of lights.
Forgive me, Lord! I have died so little!

This afternoon everyone, everyone goes by
without asking or begging me anything.

And I do not know what it is they forget, and it is
heavy in my hands like something stolen.

I have come to the door,
and I want to shout at everyone:
If you miss something, here it is!

Because in all the afternoons of this life,
I do not know how many doors are slammed on a face,
and my soul takes something that belongs to another.

Today nobody has come;
and today I have died so little in the afternoon!

3 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Blogger C. Dale said...

God, I had forgotten how much I love this poem.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Tony - glad to have found you, we could do with more fabulous-poetry-scatterers such as yourself. This is a wonderful poem and the first time I've seen it. Thankyou. Do you take requests/suggestions?!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

PS hope you don't mind me blogrolling you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home