Poetry Less Than Daily

Strong Poems. Beautiful Poems. Tough Poems. Poems w/ the F-word. Poems less frequent than before but no less kick-ass.

Thursday, March 03, 2005

Wallace Stevens (RETRO PO!)

Anecdote of the Prince of Peacocks

In the moonlight
I met Berserk,
In the moonlight
On the bushy plain.
Oh, sharp he was
As the sleepless!

And, “Why are you red
In this milky blue?”
I said.
“Why sun-colored,
As if awake
In the midst of sleep?”

“You that wander,”
So he said,
“On the busy plain,
Forget so soon.
But I set my traps
In the midst of dreams.”

I knew from this
That the blue ground
Was full of blocks
And blocking steel.
I knew the dread
Of the bushy plain,
And the beauty
Of the moonlight
Falling there,
Falling
As sleep falls
In the innocent air.

4 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger shanna said...

[Very loud cheering.] Poetry Dailier is real good in a slumpy afternoon, T.

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger C. Dale said...

I like this poem a great deal, but its older sister, "Domination in Black," blows my head off! Check it out in his Collected.

 
At 7:24 AM, Blogger shanna said...

C. Dale--that's one of my favorites too! I'm a big ho for Stevens.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger C. Dale said...

Let's hear it for the "Ho's for Stevens"!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home